2021-01-16

SAGA - Republican Roman Legion

 How did this happen? Suddenly, just like that, I have a second warband for SAGA: Age of Hannibal. In my defence, this is exactly one bag from Victrix (would be a box from most other manufacturers).


End result is 7 points, an extra warlord, and some left over bodies (including another 6 Levies). I didn't bother with shield decals, to keep both cost and time down (did all of these in slightly more than a month from getting them from the FLGS).


The main bulk is 24 Principes, serving as 3 points of warriors (I'm debating between running these as 3 units of 8, 4 units of 6, or a more cheeky 7-7-6-4). Assuming we get to game again, I will have to test this out.


Next is the Velites. Levy in SAGA terms, and most likely elephant hunters as well. Javelins can be surprisingly useful, I've realized (although perhaps less so when you don't have a horde of angry gauls)


And then, there is of course the Triarii Hearthguard. Can be distinguished by their spears, and the fact that they've had enough time to do some doodles on their shields (and/or don't see combat often enough to need to constantly replace said shields).


Finally, the Centurion. Well, centurions, and helpers. The Warlord, basically. I didn't have any normal legionnaire bodies to use for the musician, so he got a second standard bearer body. The bigger base is an old Victrix 3-base movement tray, that's too tight to use as a movement tray, but as an expanded base (that you can deconstruct for ease of transport), it should work perfect. And just because, I made a second centurion alone on his smaller base, for if I ever need it.

Is the warband finished? Well, that depends on how you define "finished". It is enough to play, but there is lots of ways I might expand it (and I think I will, it was nice to paint something this easy, especially after all the plaid on the gauls (no, I'm still not quite recovered)). Getting them some mercenary support in the form of Cretan Archers seems like a given. There is also the option of getting some Mounted Warriors, for a more mobile element (even if the battle board might not overly support it). Or just a second bag of roman infantry, this time in lighter armour, for some Hastati, i.e. more Warriors.

And then, there is of course a third warband, because you always need more. Probably something with elephants. But Numidians or Carthaginians? And of course all my other projects...

/Fool Out


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar