2022-01-01

New Years Resolutions 2021/2022

Happy international hangover day. Where did the last year go? I know one thing, though. It's been hell on my painting, haven't managed to get much finished. Didn't help that it's been a year of "oh, shiny", so I've started more projects than I've finished, and I try not to post half-finished projects... Still, even a butchers bill needs to be paid, so let's see how bad it actually was.

  • Blood & Plunder need some more Dutch.

First point is actually a limited success. 8 Enter Ploeg got painted, but I still need more Zeelieden.

  • And that Galleon.
  • And of course the 6th Rate.

These... less so. The Galleon has gotten some paint, but is still far from finished...

  • Oak & Iron needs paint and love. At least these ships are smaller...

There seem to be a curse on me and painting ships. These are mostly finished, but still need some touch ups and flags...

That last warband for SAGA: Age of Magic, as soon as the kickstarter gets here.

Considering my painting speed, I might as well reveal that these are the Atlantis Wood Elves that I manage to at least start with, to the point of a Frostgrave warband, but not yet a full army. Eventually, I'll get there...

  • Mace of Malcor, now take 3.
  • The Mounted Knights from Perry. Now, with some idea for getting started.

More victims for the unpainted pile

  • As said, I have some ideas for the Perry knights. And it requires more Perry, that has to be ordered (as soon as we know how brexit works), built, and painted. Should be easy, right? 

Yeah, this got put on the backburner again. To the great surprise of noone

I have at least 2 ideas for SAGA: Age of Hannibal warbands, one easy and one hard (why do I always look at factions with a significant portion mounted on horses...)

 The first one was quickly finished, with the romans (very nice when you get a full army in a single box). The second one, Carthaginians, have stalled due to horses, but will hopefully pick up speed again once I've managed to clear out some other projects. At least I've bought everything I should need...

  • Those Napoleonics have refused to leave, and I'm currently considering focusing on one battle, and then building a brigade from each side of that battle. No idea if it will see any table other than against myself, but it would somewhat solve my problem of being unable to pick a side and regiment.

I might have found a work around that will let me do some Napoleonics, of a variety of nations, without going bananas and it eating up all my time. See further down.

  • Oathmark has managed to do the impossible, and tempt me with undead. These will have to form a second army/kingdom.

Yep, I got some skellies and necromancers waiting on a shelf. Not enough for an army or a blogpost, though (see comment about starting more than I finished...). Never thought I'd see the day

  • There are also promises of several exciting new Oathmark kits. Revenants will join the undead, Dwarven Light Infantry will be welcome for some variety among the short folk... and the Human Cavalry might just tempt me into a third kingdom

Both kits gotten, but not yet painted, the eternal refrain of this year.

  • Stargrave ("Frostgrave IN SPACE") is coming, so I will of course need at least one crew for that, possibly two, once it's released.

I managed to hold back, and say "I already have too many games and too many projects, let's wait with this one" (although I did get one Infinity miniature to see if I could remember how to paint sci-fi. I think I do). Of course, after I said that...

The Silver Bayonet was released (or, as a friend calls it, "Rangers of Nappy-grave"), for some Napoleonic Gothic Horror. And me, the poor bugger I am, went full in on the book and initial unit releases. The fact that it can be played solo as well as against others is an extra bonus.

I need a table for this, and some soldiers to expand the starters (which are a bit low on "ordinary soldiers"). And a whole lot of monsters, as well. At least I've seen good conversions for Revenants (zombies) that will use up some of the soldier bodies I don't need for the actual units.


Other than that, it's mostly been chugging along, with a whole lot of "various" (and especially a variety of lone miniatures, nominally useful for RPG characters, but mostly for the sheer joy of painting new things).

Let's hope I manage to do better next year. I should probably try to be a bit more focused, though... Anyway, what's up for next year?

  • Blood & Plunder Dutch Zeelieden
  • Galleon 
  • 6th Rate (I will get there one year)
  • Oak & Iron
  • Wood Elves for SAGA: Age of Magic 
  • Maze of Malcor (I'm soon through the batch that's been mounted on bases, at least
  • Knights (should probably start doing these instead of random figures with no use, and not care so much about exact shades of brown horse)
  • Carthaginians for SAGA: Age of Hannibal
  • That table for Rangers, now also for Silver Bayonet (and I can probably find more uses once I actually have a table)
  • The Oathmark Undead Kingdom (with some goblin mercenaries)
  • Finish off some more dwarves, and elves, for my first Oathmark army

Sanity (and a dire list of old and semi-old stuff) says I should probably try to limit myself, but there's some new stuff anyway

  • First up, Silver Bayonet. Hopefully, these monsters will be faster to paint... (and I also need at least 3 units, because I'm nuts)
  • I will habitually keep one project secret, even if it's currently threatening to explode all over my hobby opportunities
  • A friend has shown me Sludge, which seems dementedly awesome, so I might have to get something grimy and blackpowdery for that
  • I found SAGA: Age of Invasions during the FLGS critmas sale, and I won't deny that there's a risk I'll get involved. We'll see if I manage to stay away, or get sucked in
  • That same sale also got me some Victrix Anglo-Danes. At least 24 Hearthguards and a Warlord for a SAGA "army" should be reasonably quick...
  • I might as well already plan for expanding the Carthaginians into Numidians as well (the way they work in SAGA, it won't even need to be a full army, just some extra horse-boys... why is it always the horses?)

Happy New Year (and at least the random figures are useful for interspersing long, rambly texts)

/Fool Out

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar