2020-04-26

Blood & Plunder - Spanish Expansion

Somehow, my Spanish fell to the point where they were no longer my largest Blood & Plunder force. Since they're "the horde faction", this cannot be allowed to remain. Especially not since I will also need a whole lot of Spanish to crew my galleon (when I get it painted). There is only one solution, get another Spanish Starter Box (now a much nicer looking box than when I got my initial, and most of my, Spanish, in the kickstarter a long time ago). This, of course, also means that it is a long time since I painted some of these sculpts last, which is always a nice bonus. Not as nice as completely new sculpts, but a close second.


Since my old Commander has had a rough life and the paint is starting to flake, I took the opportunity to paint up a new one while still having the old one available in case of sudden game appearance). For some variety, he's not the green most of my Spanish Commanders tend to favour.


Half of the main reason I got the whole box, was because I needed another 8 Milicianos (or Hostigadores, for when I'm being sneeky), to round up my current units to 12 each. I did mention that I tend to think of the Spanish as the "horde" faction, right? Or, you never know when you need a whole lot of Corsarios.


And similarly, though somewhat less extreme, another unit of 8 Lanceros (or Milicianos Piqueros) would also be quite useful. I've found it limiting to only have one unit when I've run Spanish Militia in the past, that will no longer be a problem.


One can always use more Marineros, of course. Especially if one have a galleon looking down at you and waiting for some paint... And yes, you're seeing that right, the unit marking is correct and this will be my fourth unit of Marineros.


Finally, some more skirmishing Milicianos Indios can't possibly hurt, can they (well, they're free to hurt my opponents, as long as they don't hurt me). For some variety in skin and cloth colours, I divided up my old unit into two, and then did these into the same two units. End result is two units of 4, but each of the units are less same-y.


These can, as with all starter boxes, of course be used for a simple 100 point list. My preferred version would be the Spanish Militia, with

Experienced Commander
8 Milicianis (or 6 Hostigadores, if one have access to the No Peace Beyond the Line book)
8 Lanceros
4 Milicianos Indios


It provides a nice, balanced force that, in my opinion, plays to the Spanish advantages without just overwhelming with numbers (always hard to do with the starter boxes, and can be boring to play as well).

Of course, since I'm not limited to only the single Starter Box, these fellows will most likely get a different baptism of fire (or baptism of dice, as the case may be). Add some more Marineros (European Artillery Crew, but it's all the same), another four Miliciano Models, and perhaps exchange the commander for something a but more... swashbuckling, and we could run with


Spanish Corsairs
Blas Miguel for Commander
8 Corsarios with Bayonets
4 Corsarios (to keep the numbering intact and provide some extra fire for fatiguing purposes)
8 Marineros without pistols
8 Marineros Piqueros

And we have 157 points of mayhem. Odd points, you say? Well, let's add that ship I painted last time


Tartana
4 Light Cannons
4 Swivel Guns


And suddenly, we're at 199 points and a decent sailing force under a Spanish flag (that isn't the huge ship and human wave I tend to play the Guarda Costa as).



Now, I should probably try to get a start on one of the aforesaid huge ships... unless I get distracted by something... ooh, vikings!

/Fool out

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar